In 2020, all the planets will be retrograde, some of them more times (Mercury and Uranus) and the others one time (Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Pluto). Node and Chiron will also be retrograde. Instead, there is no retrograde motion for Lilith.
Retrograde motion of a planet is its apparent backward motion through the sky, as observed from Earth. This apparent retrograde motion is caused by the Earth traveling past a slower-moving outer planet (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto) or when the Earth is itself passed by a faster-moving inner planet (Mercury, Venus or Mars).
So, this is like the apparent motion of the slower car on the highway – an optical illusion. But it is important, from our perspective: we live on Earth and we judge things from an earthly perspective.
Some astrologers consider this apparent backward movement of the planets was to be unlucky, because it goes against the natural order of movement – the direct movement. But a retrograde planet is not necessarily something bad – actually, it is a chance to recognize, understand and correct past mistakes.
Retrograde planets in 2020
- Mercury retrograde in Pisces and Aquarius: 17th February-10th March
- Mercury retrograde in Cancer: 18th June-12th July
- Mercury retrograde in Scorpio and Libra: 14th October-3rd November
- Venus retrograde in Gemini: 13th Mat-25th June
- Mars retrograde in Aries: 9th September-14th November
- Jupiter retrograde in Capricorn: 14th May-13th September
- Saturn retrograde in Aquarius and Capricorn: 11th May-29th September
- Uranus retrograde in Taurus: 12 August 2019-1st January 2020;
- Uranus retrograde in Taurus: 15th August 2020-1 January 2021
- Neptune retrograde in Pisces: 23rd June-29th November
- Pluto retrograde in Capricorn: 25th April-4th October
Node North, Lilith and Chiron also move backwards, in 2020.
- Node retrograde in Cancer and Gemini: all year long
- Chiron retrograde in Aries: 11th July-15 December
There is no retrograde motion for Lilith, in 2020.