The twelve zodiac signs are grouped into one of the four Elements:
- Fire: Aries, Leo and Sagittarius;
- Earth: Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn;
- Air: Gemini, Libra and Aquarius;
- Water: Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.
Twenty-five centuries ago, the Greek philosopher Empedocles identified them as elements, explaining that the entire universe is an interaction between the two opposite principles called love and strife, which manipulate the four elements.
Qualities of the four astrological elements
The four elements were considered by Empedocles as equal, of the same age, each of them possessing its own individual character:
- Fire is vital and intense;
- Earth is practical and stable;
- Air is social and intellectual;
- Water is emotional and intuitive.
Astrological elements and personality types
In the Greek Antiquity, the four astrological elements of fire, earth, air and water were also considered equivalents to Hippocrates’ personality types:
- Fire – choleric: restless, impulsive people, egocentric and extroverted.
- Earth – melancholic: serious, introverted and not quite sociable.
- Air – sanguine: sociable, talkative and imaginative.
- Water – phlegmatic: calm, patient and carrying.