Luminaries, Personal, Social and Transpersonal Planets
There are four main categories in which we can divide the planets and the other objects in the heaven, as they are understood by astrology: luminaries, personal planets, social planets and transpersonal planets.
Luminaries: Luminaries are the Sun and the Moon. Luminary means source of light, but this name is not correct, because the Moon has not its own light.
- The Sun represents the conscience, personal power, vitality and life force and is associated with paternity.
- The Moon represents emotions, the unconscious mind and is associated with maternity.
- Mercury represents communications, intellect, education, adaptability.
- Venus represents harmony, beauty, art and pleasure, romantic relations and marriage.
- Mars represents energy, strength, competition and physical activities.
Social planets: Jupiter and Saturn stand between what is personal and what is trans-personal.
- Jupiter represents growth, expansion and good fortune, long distance and foreign travel, higher education and religion.
- Saturn represents stability, discipline, responsibility, time and career and great achievements.
Trans-personal planets: Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are slower moving and represent generational trends.
- Uranus represents freedom, originality, unconventional and progressive ideas, but also friendship.
- Neptune represents idealism, compassion, spirituality, but also illusion and confusion.
- Pluto represents transformation, especially self-transformation, power and personal mastery.