Zodiac Signs Classification – the Three Modes: Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable
The twelve zodiac signs are divided not only by their elements (as you can see HERE), but also into one of the three categories or modes: cardinal, fixed and mutable:
- Cardinal signs: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn. These cardinal signs are self-starters and
- Fixed signs: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius. These fixed signs are focused and determined.
- Mutable signs: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces. These mutable signs are flexible and adaptable.
The cardinal signs of Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn generate the potential and energy of the four elements: fire (Aries), water (Cancer), Air (Libra) and Earth (Capricorn).
The fixed signs of Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius concentrate the potential and the energy of the four elements: earth (Taurus), fire (Leo), water (Scorpio) and air (Aquarius).
The mutable signs of Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces distribute the potential and the energy of their four elements: air (Gemini), earth (Virgo), fire (Sagittarius) and water (Pisces).
Modes and elements in astrology
Therefore, summarizing, this is how cardinal, fixed and mutable signs initialize, concentrate and distributes the energy of each element:
- the fire is generated by Aries, concentrated by Leo and distributed by Sagittarius.
- the earth is generated by Capricorn, concentrated by Taurus and distributed by Virgo.
- the water is generated by Cancer, concentrated by Scorpio and distributed by Pisces.
- the air is generated by Libra, concentrated by Aquarius and distributed by Gemini.